Wow, what a past week this has been! I'm writing this as more of an advisory tip to help others from having to experience such tragedy. It all began on an ordinary, but beautiful sunny day. It was just about a half hour before I had to leave for work did I notice a strange smell in the house.. I thought to myself; is that smoke? At this point alarm bells are going off only in my head as I began to search my 3rd floor apartment for the source in what seemed to be in futility.. Smoke was everywhere, but no fire to be found! I looked down the stair well and all the way to the basement to no avail.. Yep, nothing!..until that is when I look outside to find smoke bellowing out of my 2nd floor neighbors windows... I FREAKED!!, and then did what would normally be unwise to do after calling the fire department.., I ran back in and grabbed my Shimmers! She's my cat, and I've had her for the past 18 years.. There was no way I was going to let her go out this way... :( so I ran back upstairs , grabbed the cat carrier, grabbed Shimmy, and ran back down and out to meet the Revere fire fighters in what seemed a passage of time no more than five minutes.. These guys were unbelievably fast! They saved the building in what they called a quick stop..but not before fire could lay waste to the entire second floor.. Between fire, smoke, and water damage, we were told we can no longer live there until that floor was gutted and the building brought up to code.. We're talking months here..
However, I was lucky as the fire never reached the 3rd floor to which was my apartment..I lost nothing while sadly my neighbor lost everything.. I am forced to move so I donated my bed and some cloths to my neighbor.. But until June 11th , I'm homeless.. This experience has changed my perspective on life.. I've taken too much for granted. Though this may be the moral of the story, my advice is this:
Clean out the back of your refrigerators as dust buildup around the motor can apparently heat up enough to ignite a fire..it's one of those unexpected things that can happen to anyone. Please do me this one favor, check and clean behind your frigerators or freezers..
TheJackel.. From his mobile phone somewhere in Boston MA..